Asia’s first international luxury tea brand, TWG Tea came to Ate with a multipronged challenge: to help them launch their new brand, in a market that is not accustomed to perceiving tea as a luxury commodity. Brand positioning was a critical component to drive sales, hence it was crucial to define what this was early on and how it would direct the brand’s communications.
Ate has worked with TWG Tea since its inception in 2008. The initial phase of the work focused on launching the brand first in Singapore, where the company has its headquarters, before rolling out an international campaign to build brand equity when TWG Tea began its expansion into various global markets. As the campaign matured, Ate shifted its focus back to Singapore, providing strategic communications counsel at a corporate level, where necessary.
- Strategy to introduce the TWG Tea brand in Singapore focused on product offerings, outlet launches and unique food proposition. An emphasis was placed on the brand’s story, and the alignment to values associated with luxury, provenance and quality.
- The international campaign entailed strategic outreach to influential publications such as Monocle and the New York Times to establish TWG Tea’s standing as a world-class brand.
- Reflecting TWG Tea’s growth, the communications strategy evolved its approach to concentrate on the different facets of the brand:
- Food & Beverage (unique tea blends, precious rare teas, tea gastronomy
- Lifestyle (tea accessories, entertaining at home, fashion)
- Business (expansion into global markets, awards, positioning founders as thought leaders in their fields, highlighting this internationally recognized brand’s Singaporean roots)
- Technology (innovation, launch of m-Commerce platform)
- Using the success of the campaign in Singapore as a precedent, Ate was tasked with creating a comprehensive PR handbook that is now used by all in-market agencies across TWG Tea’s international network.